If you’re deciding on what kind of materials you want to choose for your new deck, consider working with an Azek deck builder like Get Decked. Why? Because we know firsthand the benefits of using premium decking materials that last.
When it comes to building a new deck, choosing the right material is one of the most important decisions you will make. With so many options available, it can be challenging to determine which deck material is best for your outdoor living space.
In this blog, we will examine the pros and cons of some popular decking materials, including pressure-treated wood, cedar, and standard composite decking, and explain why we believe Azek decking is the ultimate solution. As an Azek deck builder in New Castle DE, we’ve used countless decking materials in the past through trial and error, but have found Azek provides the best long-term solution.
But before we dive into the advantages of Azek decking, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of some other popular decking materials.
Pressure-Treated Wood Decking:
You’ll find that this is a popular type of decking material used time and time again for many homeowners due to its affordability, but it doesn’t mean it’s the best deck material option. Here are some pros and cons to look out for when considering pressure-treated wood decks.
- Affordable: pressure-treated wood is a budget-friendly option for deck building.
- Natural look: wood has a warm, natural look that can enhance the beauty of any outdoor space.
- Maintenance: To maintain the beauty and structural integrity of the wood, it requires regular maintenance to prevent rot, mold, and insect damage.
- Routine Staining: With a wood deck, regularly staining the deck can help protect the wood. Though, it requires a significant amount of time and effort, which can be a burden for homeowners who prefer a low-maintenance outdoor living space.
- Durability: wood is prone to warping, splitting, and cracking over time, which can shorten its lifespan. Unfortunately, in areas with less sunlight and higher moisture levels, it has a tendency to rot faster as well.
For these reasons, pressure-treated wood may not be the ideal solution for a long-lasting, low maintenance deck. As an Azek deck builder in Delaware, we recommend considering alternative materials that require less maintenance and provide longevity.
As an Azek deck builder, we know the importance of choosing the right decking material for your outdoor living space. Over the years, we’ve found that cedar decking is another popular choice for its natural beauty and rot-resistant properties. Here, we’ll examine the pros and cons of cedar decking to help you determine if it is the right choice for your decking project.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Cedar decking has a natural beauty and warm color that adds to the overall aesthetics of your outdoor space.
- Insect Resistant: Since cedar contains natural oils that act as an insect repellent, it makes it more resistant to insect damage.
- Cost: Cedar is more expensive than pressure-treated wood decking, and can be even more costly when sourced from a high-quality supplier.
- More Vulnerable: One downside of cedar decking is that it is a softer wood, making it more susceptible to scratches and dents from furniture and pet claws
- Maintenance: Cedar needs to be regularly maintained to preserve its appearance and structural integrity. In order to maintain it, you will need a particular type of sealant to better protect it. But if you’re not ready for this kind of regular maintenance, there are other low-maintenance decking options available
While cedar decking has its benefits, its maintenance requirements and susceptibility to wear and tear make it less than ideal for some homeowners.
Standard Composite Decking
Composite decking is a popular choice for outdoor living spaces due to its durability and low maintenance requirements. However, not all composite decking materials are created equal. As an experienced Azek deck builder, we have seen the pros and cons of different composite decking options.
- Low maintenance: Composite decking requires little maintenance compared to wood decking, and doesn’t need to be stained or painted.
- Durability: Composite decking is resistant to warping, rotting, and insect damage, making it a long-lasting option for outdoor spaces.
- Not resistant to moisture and mildew when close to the ground.
- Cost: Composite decking is typically more expensive than wood decking options.
- Limited aesthetic options: Composite decking can lack the natural beauty of wood, and can have a uniform look that some homeowners may find less appealing.
- Limited warranty: Standard composite decking typically comes with a limited warranty and can be more challenging to replace.
Now that we’ve examined some other decking materials, let’s dive into why Azek decking is the solution for your outdoor living space.
Azek decking is a premium material that offers a range of benefits for your custom deck. As an Azek deck builder in Kent County DE, New Castle County DE, Chester County PA, and Montgomery County PA, we have seen firsthand the advantages of using this unique polymer blend decking material.
- Durability: Azek decking is engineered to withstand harsh weather conditions, resisting fading, scratching, and staining.
- Low maintenance: Azek decking doesn’t require sanding, staining, or sealing like wood decking materials. It is easy to clean and maintain.
- Aesthetics: Azek decking comes in a variety of colors, patterns, and textures that mimic the natural beauty of wood, without the drawbacks.
- Sustainability: Azek decking is made of 63% of recycled materials, making it an eco-friendly option for your outdoor living space.
- Cost: Azek decking tends to be more expensive than some other decking materials, but its durability and low maintenance make it a worthwhile investment for homeowners.
As an Azek deck builder, we understand the importance of using high-quality materials that can stand the test of time. Azek decking is a reliable, low maintenance option that can provide you with a beautiful and functional outdoor living space for years to come!
Azek Deck Builder Explains the Unique Advantages of Azek Decking over Standard Composite Materials
While we went over the list of pros and cons, you may be wondering what is the true difference between Azek decking versus other composite materials. The main difference between Azek decking and other standard composite deck materials is that Azek decking is made from a unique polymer blend, while other composite decking is typically made from a combination of wood fiber and plastic. This unique polymer blend in Azek decking makes it highly resistant to scratching, staining, and fading, and also gives it a more natural look and feel. Additionally, Azek decking is engineered to be more durable and low-maintenance than other composite decking options, making it a popular choice for homeowners who prioritize both aesthetics and practicality in their outdoor living spaces.
Work With a Reliable Azek Deck Builder –Get Decked!
When it comes to choosing the right decking material for your outdoor living space, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of each option. While pressure-treated wood, cedar, and composite decking all have their advantages, Azek decking stands out as a durable, low maintenance, and eco-friendly option that can provide long-lasting beauty and functionality to your outdoor space.
If you are looking for a deck builder in Chester County PA, Montgomery County PA, New Castle County DE, or Kent County De, consider working with Get Decked! At Get Decked, we are a family-owned deck company with the expertise and experience to bring your outdoor living space to life. With a commitment to quality craftsmanship and exceptional customer service, we are dedicated to ensuring your complete satisfaction with your new deck.
Contact us today for a free deck quote and start building your dream deck!