Building a deck in your backyard is a fantastic way to extend your living space and create a versatile area for unwinding after a long day at work, hosting friends and family, or making the most of the outdoors. However, before you look for a deck contractor near New Castle County, DE, you’ll need to make a crucial decision: should you opt for a ground level deck or a raised deck?
Each design comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages, and in this blog, we’ll explore the pros and cons of both options to help you make an informed choice that best suits your needs.
Pros of Ground Level Decks
- Safety: One of the biggest advantages of a ground level deck is its lower risk factor, making it a safer option, especially for families with young children or elderly individuals. As any professional deck installer will agree, the proximity to the ground minimizes the risk of serious injuries in case of accidental falls or slips. This peace of mind allows homeowners to enjoy their outdoor space without constant worry about potential hazards.
- Versatility: Ground level decks offer greater flexibility in design and usage. Your licensed deck builders can install a deck around existing landscaping features, such as trees, flower beds, or rock formations, without the need for major modifications. This seamless integration with the natural surroundings enhances the deck’s visual appeal and creates a harmonious outdoor living environment.
- Seamless Transition: Ground level decks offer a smooth transition between indoor and outdoor spaces. The deck can be easily accessed from your home’s main floor, creating a seamless flow for entertaining and relaxation. The accessibility also makes it a suitable option for individuals with mobility challenges, as steps can be eliminated or minimized in the design.
Cons of Ground Level Decks
- Limited Privacy: Since ground level decks are closer to the ground, they might have reduced privacy compared to raised decks. You may feel more exposed to neighboring properties, affecting your comfort and desire to spend time outdoors. To address this concern, you can enhance privacy by incorporating tall shrubs, strategically placed fencing, or privacy screens in your yard, creating a more secluded and intimate atmosphere.
- Uneven Ground: Building a ground level deck on uneven terrain can pose challenges during construction. If you have concerns about how your property’s landscaping might impact the construction of your deck, it’s advisable to have a conversation with a licensed deck builder. They can offer valuable insights and suggest alternative deck styles, such as building a multi-level deck, that could be more suitable for your property’s layout.
- Less Visual Impact: Lower level decks might have less visual impact compared to raised decks, especially if your property has beautiful views or unique landscaping features. Building higher decks can often provide a more expansive view and a greater sense of elevation, enhancing the overall aesthetic appeal of your outdoor space.
Pros of Raised Decks
- Aesthetic Appeal: Raised decks can be striking architectural elements that add elegance and character to your property. By elevating the deck above ground level, you create a visually impactful feature that enhances the overall aesthetics of your home’s exterior. Additionally, the elevation allows your custom deck builder to get creative and incorporate unique railing designs, creative lighting, or distinctive finishes, further enhancing the deck’s beauty.
- Privacy and Security: Elevated above ground level, raised custom backyard decks offer enhanced privacy. The height creates a natural barrier that limits direct views into the deck area, giving you a sense of seclusion and comfort while enjoying your outdoor space. Moreover, this increased elevation can act as a deterrent to potential intruders, contributing to the security of your Wilmington, DE home.
- Design Opportunities: The vertical space under a raised deck opens up a world of creative design possibilities. You can utilize this to add outdoor seating or create a cozy outdoor living room with weather-resistant furniture. This added functionality expands the usable area of your deck and transforms the space into a versatile outdoor oasis suitable for various activities, from storage to entertainment.
Cons of Raised Decks
- Structural Considerations: Building a raised deck requires a more robust support system, including footings, posts, and beams, to ensure stability and longevity. Professional installation is necessary to ensure that the deck’s structural elements are properly designed and executed.
- Safety Concerns: Elevated decks come with safety considerations, particularly related to the stairs and railing design. Properly designed and well-maintained railings are essential to prevent accidental falls from the deck’s height. Additionally, homeowners with small children or pets should take extra precautions to ensure the deck area is safe and secure for all users by using a professional deck builder.
- Building Restrictions: Some local building codes and neighborhood HOA covenants might restrict the height and size of raised decks. Before proceeding with the construction, it’s essential that your deck builder gets the proper permits to ensure compliance with any regulations or restrictions.
Contact Get Decked, the #1 Affordable Deck Builder in New Castle County, DE
As you weigh the pros and cons presented here, remember that choosing between a ground level deck and a raised deck involves considering various factors, including safety, budget, privacy, maintenance requirements, and design preferences.
Ground level decks offer safety, accessibility, and a seamless transition of your indoor and outdoor space. With raised decks, they provide enhanced views, added privacy, and exciting design opportunities. Ultimately, the decision depends on your unique needs, the layout of your backyard, and your vision for creating an outdoor space that complements your lifestyle.
If you need help trying to decide which deck style is right for you, get in touch with Get Decked, the #1 deck builder in New Castle County, DE. We will schedule an on-site consultation to listen to your ideas and provide sound advice so you can make an informed choice. With over 38+ years of experience in building custom decks across Delaware including Middletown, DE, Newark, DE, Christiana, DE, Bear, DE, and beyond, we combine creative ideas with quality craftsmanship to bring your dream deck to life.
Contact us today to receive a free quote for deck installation.